Thursday, December 10, 2009

A Change in Me

I realized now that it has been over 3 months since I last posted and I am terribly sorry about that. When I last left you I was about to embark on the adventure of my life during the holiday season here in Nepal (which occurred in October). I decided to do the most classic trek in Nepal, the Annapurna Circuit. Although it feels like so long ago since I left the impression the trip has made on me is astounding. For more information and photos about my trip in the mountains please check out the youtube site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_5k90Zuj8

Everyone will tell you the mountains are beautiful, breathtaking, miraculous, but after coming bacl from this trip I didn't predict the change I would feel in myself. I guess I feel...older maybe more confident, more independent more ready to embrace reality. I don't quite know how to describe it. Returning to Kathmandu, I now see the city with new eyes. It has made me really question my future. What do I really want to do for my vision of change the status of public health and how am I going to do it? Could I live the life of an Expat in Nepal? I need mountains and cities and excitement which Nepal has but is it the right place? COuld I really live her working for a big NGO with my healthy paycheck surrounded by abject poverty? Can I deal with the lack of time and quality that is put into work here?...Yes I am working to change these things but is it too late for me having grown up in western society to be able to relate to the Nepali people in order to bring about effective sustainable change?

No comments:

Post a Comment