Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Good and the Bad



So I believe I am starting to settle in at this point. I have had good days and bad days and draw backs and giant steps.

Bad day: yes so I am still trying to figure out my living situation so as I move my bags all over the place it also means that I need to figure out the public transportation system from that location to school. The other day I jumped on a tempo (these little 3 wheelers) and was sent in the opposite direction of my school to land at the tempo hub where I was supposed to get on another tempo to school. This is when I realized that somewhere in the move I forgot by wallet map and cell phone and now had no idea where I was. I asked around the tempo stand for about 30 minutes before jumping on one that landed me somewhere on the ring road (the highway) . The driver was nice enough to forgo my fee and after about an hour of walking around aimlessly getting sent in multiple wrong directions I found the school though I was 2 hours late.  I also found out that only about 50% of the students in my class want to learn while the others ruin it for everyone else so I am trying to find a way to deal with this.

Ok enough of the bad.....
Good Day: Yesterday I figured out what I want to do for a research situation and every thing sounds perfect. I will be working with the organization Center for Microfinance and help them do an assessment of the health education program they have been piloting now for 2 years. While I am really excited I realized I have never done a program assessment before so this may end up being more difficult then I first imagined. I am trying now to get in touch with as many professionals as possible to try and give me some advice. So if you have any advice.....let me know. Also I am going to start coaching the girls basketball team tomorrow at 7 am in the mornings so I am super excited about hopefully getting some b-ball going. I have also been thinking of some fun things to do for the students. While this school advertises a lot of activities there aren't that many programs in reality. If I can get a number of programs started here before I leave then I think I can be successful. The students are super bright and some of them are really motivated they just need the guidance....which I decided I will be able to provide. Lets see how it goes....

No comments:

Post a Comment