Sunday, August 2, 2009

Nepal: First Impressions

let me break this down from that good to the bad:

The people: are so amazingly kind. This is such a contrast from some of the other places I have travelled and I feel so comfortable here. I have been here just two days and I have made so many friends already. The tourists areas are very distinct as there are no westerners anywhere and then in this one section in the center of town where everything is dolled up and there is only foreigners, nice cafes and a plethora of outdoor gear and trekking stores.

The food: I don't know why people said was bland. I love it so far. Other than cheese (so sad) you can find just about anything here and although I was going to be conservative in the last two days I have eaten everything from chicken to shrimp to pork to Tofu....anyway I am sure it is not representative of how the rest of the country eats...if they eat I have just been treated really well so far.

The roads: SO I was thinking before I came here I was going to get a bike to travel around.....hell no. I have never been so scared ever in a car. It takes 40 minutes to go 4 miles with no traffic on a good day. With traffic maybe four hours. To go the distance to the mountains of about Colorado Springs to Boulder (a friend was telling me) takes about 5 hours. 

The Government: Well as always with politics I have only heard complaints. It sounds really bad. I mean really bad. People tell me taxes go only to pay the salaries of the government officials. Roads are horrendous and everything else that comes standard in the 3rd world.

Healthcare: I have to say this has to be the worst situation that I have ever heard. So here is the deal there is no private health insurance AND no public health insurance. Even at the government hospitals you pay before you play. This means if you come to the hospital writhing in agony with a severed limb you are promptly sent to bills and if you can not prepay you are not see. AT ALL. oh my god. Kenya or Uganda wasn't even this bad.

We will see I have a lot to learn yet and I will let you know how the first day of class goes. Oh and the cockroaches...not so fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment